BC Tech Firm One of Canada’s First Carbon Positive Businesses
Award Winning Port Coquitlam company, Finger Food Studios is Committed to Maintaining Carbon Positive and Plans to Offset their more than 110 Staff Household Emissions.
April 20, 2017 – VANCOUVER, B.C.– Technology innovation company, Finger Food Studios has added to its roster of industry transformative work by becoming one of Canada’s first companies to achieve Carbon Positive status.
Carbon Positive status requires going beyond Carbon Neutral by making additional ‘positive’ contributions. Finger Food has become Carbon Positive by ensuring that more of its greenhouse gas emissions are avoided or sequestered than are released into the atmosphere. By offsetting more carbon than it emitted during its operations, Finger Food is playing a critical role in limiting the future impacts of global warming. Taking it a step further, Finger Food has also announced plans to offset their more than 100 employees’ household emissions.
“We are advocates for positive social and environmental change,” said Ryan Peterson, Finger Food’s CEO. “We believe businesses should be a force for good. That is why at Finger Food, we are committing to offset not just our company’s carbon footprint but the footprint of every employee’s household as well.”
“Finger Food Studios is a vision of what a truly sustainable organization is,” said Jae Mather, Director of Sustainability, Carbon Free Group. “The intent is on changing the game, where commercial strategy is sustainable strategy.”
Finger Food firmly believes that businesses should both self-regulate as well as benefit their communities and the environment. As part of Finger Food’s Carbon Management Strategy, the company contributed to the Quadra Island Forestland Conservation Project, a project that enabled the conservation of 417.9 hectares of forestland on Quadra Island which would have previously been logged or converted to vacation home developments. A sample of other commitments Finger Food has made as part of their Carbon Positive status, includes:
- Offset three times the company’s Scope 1, Scope 2 and Scope 3 transport emissions annually, through an externally accredited company that only sells offsets that are completed to rigorous standards, and have been validated and verified by third-parties to ensure that the tonnes are real, additional, and permanent.
- Carry out a ‘carbon emission’ and ‘sustainability opportunities’ audit/assessment annually and externally report on the findings.
- Source healthy and organic staff food from local, ethical and sustainable providers including Fairtrade and Rainforest Alliance products.
- Take into account energy efficiency performance when purchasing IT and other equipment.
- Procure from local suppliers and hire local staff whenever possible (Metro Vancouver).
- Report annually on four indicators: 1. Renewable energy usage; 2. Diversion of waste from the landfill; 3. Purchases from small companies; and 4. Gender equity.
- Sign the David Suzuki Foundation declaration of interdependence.
“Finger Food Studios is the first official Carbon Positive company with Offsetters,” said Dawn Hancock, Manager of Client Engagement for Offsetters. “After measuring their carbon footprint, Finger Food wanted to go beyond simply neutralizing their impact on the climate; they offset much more than they emitted, in order to not just neutralize their impact but to have a positive contribution. Offsetters is proud to work with Finger Food Studios.”
For more information on Finger Food Studios and their Carbon Positive status, please contact email@example.com.
About Finger Food
Finger Food Studios is based in Port Coquitlam, B.C. and is a world-class technology company that designs, develops, and delivers software products that are helping companies transform their businesses and re-imagine workflows. It is the currently the only company in the world fusing together Augmented Reality, the Internet of Things and Machine Learning.
Finger Food’s Corporate Social Responsibility Policy is available online here.